I recently went on a mass declutter and actually took out my drawers and got rid of more makeup that I imagined to get rid of. During the process, I found myself quite eager to get rid of the products. I assumed I would be uncomfortable and sad from it but guess not. It was about time to declutter anyway. As a small beauty influencer, I still do receive quite a bit of PR and that quickly can accumulate a lot of space. So what I did for myself was, I kept products that were new aside so I can pass it forward to family and friends. I threw away old, expired makeup because no one wants to use that! Some products were only used once, which sucks!
What I learned from this declutter:
- (For influencers) – Do not accept PR that you do not care for.
- Do not purchase products that are not something I would use for the long-term – a lot of my purchases were for short-term use and that’s extremely wasteful.
- Just because products with pretty packaging are pretty to look, doesn’t mean you need it.
- If you already own that shade or a similar shade, do not get it. No one would notice the difference.
- If there’s a sale, doesn’t mean you should buy anything from that sale. There’s always going to be a sale. Use up what you have first then considered buying more later.
- Just because someone owns something nice, doesn’t mean you need to go out and purchase it. You are an adult now, understand and remember that you have priorities and bills to pay.
What I should be asking myself before I make any beauty purchase:
- How many uses can I get out of this?
- How long is the shelf life on this and does it make sense to own it now or later?
- Will room temperature changes affect the product or not?
- Am I allergic or sensitive to any of the ingredients listed?
- Is this the correct shade for me? Have I swatched it at the store/read the colour description carefully?
- How much product do I have left for my _____? example: foundation, lipstick and etc.
- Is it a necessity or a want? Can it wait?
For those of you who are social media on a regular daily basis or with friends who are shopaholics, I know how hard it can be at times to not give in but just remember that if it does not spark joy or something you will use for the long term for yourself, why buy it? I’m always on social media because it’s part of what I do. I sometimes fall into the trap of buying things I don’t need because I saw it on my feed. I follow a big mix of different beauty accounts; some are drugstore, affordable beauty and some are boujee/high-end accounts. The high-end ones always get me because either the packaging looks great or it’s super popular on social media where you would see it at least once a day.
I hope you found this helpful in some shape or form, I thought I might shed some light on a topic that people do not normally talk about.