Good morning, dear friends! I hope you’re having a fantastic week so far. This week’s item I will be reviewing is a bit different from what I usually review. This is a cushion compact by the brand Laneige. This product was kindly gifted to me through Meibe Korea in exchange for a review. Meibe Korea has a fantastic range of products to choose from both skincare and beauty. They also include the cutest freebies in their packages.
What is a cushion compact?
Cushion compacts are basically foundation mixed with various essences, serums, and even SPF to form and a multi-functional face product that serves multiple purposes. You get your sun protection, a bit of skincare and coverage in a compact form. Once you are finished with the product, you just purchase a refill. I know some brands do not offer refills, which means you have to repurchase a whole entire new cushion to replace it. K-Beauty normally does offer refills for their cushions.
The ingredients may vary by the shade colour so I’m only just referencing off the one I own, which is shade #21.
WATER / AQUA / EAU, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, ZINC OXIDE (NANO), ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (NANO), CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL DICAPRYLATE/DICAPRATE, NIACINAMIDE, LAURYL PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, ACRYLATES/ETHYLHEXYL ACRYLATE/DIMETHICONE METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, 1,2-HEXANEDIOL, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, DIMETHICONE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, DISODIUM EDTA, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, MICA, MANGANESE SULFATE, METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM CHLORIDE, STEARIC ACID, SILICA, ASCORBYL GLUCOSIDE, ACRYLATES/STEARYL ACRYLATE/DIMETHICONE METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, HDI/TRIMETHYLOL HEXYLLACTONE CROSSPOLYMER, IRON OXIDES (CI 77491), ZINC SULFATE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, CHENOPODIUM QUINOA SEED EXTRACT, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, PHENOXYETHANOL, POLYSORBATE 80, POLYPROPYLSILSESQUIOXANE, HYDROGENATED LECITHIN, FRAGRANCE / PARFUM, IRON OXIDES (CI 77492), YEAST EXTRACT / FAEX / EXTRAIT DE LEVURE, IRON OXIDES (CI 77499)
Now before you complain about the limited shade range, this seems to be quite common in Korea where they tend to only offer 2-3 shades and that’s because it’s marketed for Korean people in Korea. I really appreciate Laneige for putting the extra effort and are gradually expanding on their shade range. This particular Whitening cushion line has a total of 12 shades; the lightest shade is No. 11 Porcelain and the darkest is No. 37 Cacao. In comparison to western beauty foundations, a 12 shade range is obviously little but it is a start especially for a Korean brand. If you compared this range to other K-Beauty brands, you would agree with me.
- Texture: 5/5 – Easily glides on the skin, does not cling onto dry patches or emphasize texture on the skin. It looks extremely natural and gives you the appropriate coverage and a glowy appearance to the skin. The coverage is between a medium to almost full coverage; I do like how you are able to control the amount you apply on your face.
- Scent: 5/5 – There isn’t a noticeable scent for this, on the ingredient list it says that there is some fragrance but the dosage is relatively low because it is featured on the lower section of ingredients.
- Price: 4/5 – I think the price is fair for what you are getting, very standard cushion pact pricing and it will always vary where you purchase this product from. There’s a lot of stores that sell Laneige products so the chances of you seeing this are quite high.
- Performance: 5/5 – The two notable ingredients I noticed that were in this cushion was green tea extract and also niacinamide, both are fantastic ingredients that serve different purposes. They’re able to soothe the skin and also brighten the overall appearance. I love the results I get from using this cushion because it gives the skin a really beautiful appearance to it without looking overdone/cakey. It looks and acts like a 2nd layer skin and leaves you looking so luminous. The longevity of this cushion is good and lasts me between 6 ~ 8 hours; be sure to pack a powder pact in case you need to blot.
- Packaging: 5/5 – It’s pretty looking! Simple and has a fun rainbow cover to it. The cushion pattern is neat and applies well on the puff. The puff is one of the better puffs I’ve tried. You can also use a makeup sponge such a beauty blender.
- Overall: 5/5 – I would repurchase this and I would recommend anyone to give this a go. Back when I was using foundation, I didn’t know the purpose of cushion pacts because they just seemed so gimmicky, waste of product and no value to them but boy, I was terribly wrong. There’s just something about cushion pacts being able to allow you to achieve that “my skin but better” type of look. A lot of foundations tend to make the face look so flat and that’s why a lot of people seem to like to follow up with contour. For cushions, I don’t really feel like I need to contour or even highlight (wow, who is she?). If you’ve been following me long enough, you would know that I absolutely am obsessed with highlighters and my collection of highlighters is kind of ridiculous but I’m proud of it!
TIP: When searching for specific shades online, be sure to type on the search toolbar the TYPE of cushion you want and also your shade. eBay has a lot of coupon deal events that happen on a bi-weekly basis so keep an eye out for those and save, save save. If you have not already, sign up for ebates to save while you shop online.